[ntcir:178] Opinion Workshop, Dec. 6 10:30-12:00, NII

Dear NTCIR-5 Participants and all,

This an announcement of an opinion workshop held
in NTCIR-5 (Time: 10:30-12:00, Dec 6,
Place: Room1208+1210, 12th Floor, NII.)
It is free for all to attend.

In the previous NTCIR workshops, we have organized
CLIR, CLQA, PATENT, QAC, WEB and MuST tasks.
Now we are thinking the possibility to organize
a pilot opinionated task in NTCIR-6. We all know human
express their opinions on various topics every time
every where through different channels, e.g., web site,
news group, blog, and so on. The subjective information
implicitly embedded in the documents are quite useful
for individuals, communities, companies, governments,
and so on. In the recent years, opinion retrieval,
extraction, summarization, question-answering, and
tracking have attracted much attention. However,
setting up an evaluation corpus for opinionated task
is cost effective. No common test bed is available
up to now.

In this opinion workshop, I will give an overview of
the opinion-related works, list some options and
welcome all the participants’ feedback. Your comments
are useful to organize a new task in next NTCIR.
I am looking forward to seeing all of you at NII
next week.

Best regards,

Hsin-Hsi Chen
Professor
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering
National Taiwan University
Taipei, Taiwan
E-mail: hhchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx