[ntcir:132] Announcement from NTCIR-4 WEB Task Organizers

[English Announcement on NTCIR-4 WEB Task B]
(Please see below for Japanese announcement.)

Dear all,

NTCIR-4 WEB Task is a set of subtasks in which various aspects of Web
information access technology are tackeled. Task B, i.e. Navigational
Retrieval Task, is a subtask in which we are trying to evaluate Web
retrieval systems such as "I'm Feeling Lucky" of Google.

In order to implement such a system, a document retrieval engine and a
ranking mechanism are usualy needed. Altough these two components are
closely related with each other in usual document retrieval systems,
they may be less related in this type of retrieval systems.

We think, however, that there may be some people who are interested in
the subtask but cannnot participate because of not having a document
retrieval engine. Therefore, we are now considering to make topically
relevant document lists for respective questions with a baseline
document retrieval engine, and to provide them to the participants of
the subtask.

If you are interested in the idea, please let us know at
<ntcweb-org@xxxxxxxxx>. Even if you have not registered to the WEB Task,
you are welcome.

For more detail of the WEB Task, please refer to the Web page at:
<http://research.nii.ac.jp/ntcweb/index.html>.

Best regards,

Keizo Oyama
Co-chair of the NTCIR-4 WEB Task
[Japanese Announcement on NTCIR-4 WEB Task B]

皆様,

NTCIR-4 WEBタスクではWeb情報アクセス技術の様々な側面について取り組んでい
ます。タスクB,すなわち,ナビゲーション指向検索タスクは,Googleの“I'm
Feeling Lucky”のようなWeb検索システムの評価を行うサブタスクです。

このようなシステムを実現するためには,通常は文書検索エンジンとランキング
のための仕組みが必要になります。一般の文書検索システムでは,これら二つの
コンポーネントは密接に関係していますが,このようなタイプの検索システムで
はそれほどでもないでしょう。