[ntcir:325] CF Participation: SIGIR WS Info Access in a Multilingual World

                  CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
SIGIR2009 Workshop on Information Access in a Multilingual World
                 Thursday, July 23rd, 2009
       Egan Hall, Northeastern University, Boston
    Organized by Fred Gey, Jussi Karlgren, Noriko Kando

SIGIR2009 Workshop on Information Access in a Multilingual World will
be held on Thursday, July 23rd at Egan Hall, Northeastern University,
Boston, MA, USA.

This is the third workshop on the topic of multilingual information
access held during SIGIR conferences this decade. The first was at SIGIR
2002 on the topic of "Cross Language Information Retrieval: A Research
Roadmap". The second was at SIGIR 2006 on the topic of "New Directions
in Multilingual Information Access".  Over the past decade the field has
matured and real world applications have appeared. Thus our goal in this
2009 workshop was to collate experiences and plans for the real-world
application of multilingual technology to information access.

Our aim is to identify the remaining barriers to practical multilingual
information access, both technological and from the point of view of
user interaction.

We were fortunate to obtain as invited keynote speaker Dr Ralf
Steinberger of the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission,
presenting the Joint Research Centre's multilingual media monitoring and
analysis applications, including NewsExplorer.  Dr. Steinberger has
written an overview paper about their family of applications, which is
the first paper in these proceedings.

You are most welcome to join us!

---------------
Workshop Agenda

09:00-09:10  Welcome and Introductions

09:10-10:00   Invited talk: An introduction to the Europe Media Monitor
family of applications,
   Ralf Steinberger (European Commission Joint Research Centre)

10:00-10:30 The Assignment of Tags to Images in Internet: Language Skill
Evaluation for Tag Recommendation
   David Nettleton, Mari-Carmen Marcos (Pompeu Fabra University),
Bartolome' Mesa-Lao (Autonomous University of Barcelona) -- Presented by
Ricardo Beza-Yates

10:30-11:00 Coffee Break

11:00-11:20 Multilingual Wikipedia, Summarization, and Information
Trustworthiness
   Elena Filatova (Fordham University)

11:20-11:40 NSContrast: An Exploratory News Article Analysis System that
Characterizes the Differences between News Sites
   Masaharu Yoshioka (Hokkaido University)

11:40-11:55 What’s wrong with Cross-Lingual IR?
   John I. Tait (InformationRetrieval Facility)

11:55-12:10 A Virtual Evaluation Track for Cross Language Link Discovery
   Wei Che (Darren) Huang (Queensland University of Technology), Andrew
Trotman (University of Otago), Shlomo Geva (Queensland University of
Technology)

12:10-12:30 DISCUSSION

12:30-13:30 LUNCH

13:30-13:45 Towards an Integrative Approach to Cross-Language
Information Access for Digital Libraries
   Jiangping Chen, Miguel E Ruiz (University of North Texas)

13:45-14:00 Ubiquity: Designing a Multilingual Natural Language Interface
   Michael Yoshitaka Erlewine (Mozilla Labs)

14:00-14:15 Romanization -- An Untapped Resource for Out-of-Vocabulary MT
for CLIR
   Fredric Gey (University of California, Berkeley)

14:15:14:30 Urdu is not Hindi for Information Access
   Kashif Riaz (University of Minnesota)

14:30-14:45 A Patient Support System based on Crosslingual IR and
Semi-supervised Learning
   Hideki Isozaki, Tsutomu Hirao, Katsuhito Sudoh, Jun Suzuki, Akinori
Fujino, Hajime Tsukada, Masaaki Nagata (NTT Corporation)

14:45-15:00 DISCUSSION

15:00-15:30 BREAK

15:30-17:00 DISCUSSION of the Future of Multilingual Information Access

17:00 Workshop close
--------------------

Please note that the workshop will be held in the Northeastern
University. Egan Hall (Building 60 on the campus map). It takes
about 20 minutes from Sheraton Boston Hotel (Conference Hotel)
to there on foot.

>From Sheraton (conference hotel) to the workshop venue, you can take
a T (subway) Green Line from the "Prudential" stop to "Northeastern",
or just walk if the weather is nice.

If you have a problem to locate the workshop place, please join our
"walking group tour" -- we will meet in the lobby of the Sheraton hotel
shortly before 8:00am on Thursday, July 23rd.  At 8:00, we'll walk as a
group to the Northeastern University's Egan Hall.  If the weather is not
good we will take the "T".

If you will go to the venue by yourself, it is no problem.

See you soon,

Fred, Jussi and Noriko