I am an Associate Professor at the National Institute of Informatics (NII) and at the Graduate University for Advanced Studies (Sokendai), in Tokyo, Japan (photo left corner: NII’s mascot).
I am a Senior Member of IEEE and serving as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Communications Letters, IEEE Wireless Communications Letters and IEICE Transactions on Communications. I received the IEEE Communications Letters Exemplary Editor distinction in December 2020. On September 1st 2020, I was nominated as a Member of the Advisory Board for Promoting Science and Technology Diplomacy, at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (MOFA).
Currently, my main research interests are:
- 5G and Beyond radio access design (Terahertz and mmWave networks, RIS networks, drone networks),
- Machine learning-based spectrum and energy resource allocation optimization,
- Machine-to-Machine (M2M) and Internet of Things (IoT) communications (LPWAN, LoRa),
- Integrated terrestrial-satellite communication systems (LR-FHSS),
- Energy-efficiency of wireless communication systems.
- July 2023
- Our paper “User Grouping and Switch Network Optimization for Energy-Efficient Multi-User Terahertz Communications”, authored by Jiali Wang and M. Kaneko, has been accepted in IEEE Globecom 2023, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 10 July 2023
- I gave an invited talk at the University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology (Colloquium on Mathematical Informatics), “Spectrum and Energy Efficiency Optimization for Next Generation Wireless Communications Systems”.
- 17 June 2023
- I gave an invited seminar at Kyoyukai Association (diffusion of scientific knowledge to broad public), “5G and Beyond 5G for Future Society”.
- 3 Feb. 2023
- I gave an invited talk at Keio University, Faculty of Science and Technology, “Spectrum- and Energy Efficiency Optimization for Next Generation Wireless Communication Systems”.
- Jan. 2023
- Our paper “An Auction-based Assignment Method for LoRa Multi-Gateway Networks”, authored by J.T. Chen, M. Kaneko, A. Guitton (Clermont-Auvergne University, France), has been accepted in IEEE ICC 2023, Rome, Italy.
- Jan. 2023
- Our paper “Deep Reinforcement Learning-based Uplink Power Control in Cell-Free Massive MIMO”, authored by X. Zhang, M. Kaneko, V.A. Le, Y. Ji (NII), has been awarded The Best Paper Runner-Up Award at IEEE CCNC 2023 (2nd among 271).
- Oct. 2022
- Our Kakenhi Project for International Collaboration Kokusai B, funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), has been accepted (科研費 国際共同研究強化(B), 2022-2027, PI: M. Kaneko)
- Sept. 2022
- Thi Ha Ly Dinh successfully defended her Ph.D. at Sokendai, congratulations! She started as a lecturer at Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST) in October 2022.